INTERN SPOTLIGHT: Ainhoa Espinoza

• Hometown: Easton, MD
  • Major: Management Major and Marketing Minor
  • Fun fact about me: I speak English and Spanish fluently!
  • Name of internship host and location: Rise Up Management in Easton, MD
  • When did you complete your internship? Summer 2023
  • How did you find it? I am a usual customer at the Rise Up café locations in Salisbury and Easton.
  • What was your role and or some duties? For most of the internship, I was the operation management assistant. However, I also had some duties in the Financial Management Department, such as the reconciliation of invoices and bank accounts.
  • Why this particular internship or organization? I chose this internship because I noticed Rise Up’s workplace environment was very friendly. Also, since it is a local business, I thought it could give me an insight into what owning a small business in the area feels like.
  • What was your experience like (favorite part)? My favorite part of the internship was implementing a “demo” setting at Whole Foods Market in Annapolis, MD. I offered coffee bags from the store shelves to customers while explaining Rise Up Coffee’s background and mission.
  • How has this experience helped you? Interning at Rise Up Coffee helped me develop interpersonal communication skills, time management skills and even some negotiation skills.
  • What’s next for you? They offered me a job; I plan to work at their Financial Management Office after graduation.
  • Advice for other students: I encourage them to find companies that they have an interest in as a consumer; it is easier to find work enjoyable if you love the product/service they provide.
  • Kudos to PSB for … providing me with a variety of resources to make my real-life work experience successful.

INTERN SPOTLIGHT: Wylen Tompkins

• Hometown: Severna Park, MD
  • Major: Management and Accounting Minor 
  • Fun fact about me: I like to make my own ice cream! 
  • Name of internship host and location: The Athlete Academy Performance and Fitness which is located in Crown Sports Center in Salisbury, MD
  • When did you complete your internship? Summer 2023
  • How did you find it? Heard about The Athlete Academy from friends who had done some exercise science internships there and decided to reach out to the owner to see if they were interested in a management intern.
  • What was your role and or some duties? I was the Business Operations intern where I performed basic facility and equipment maintenance, provided administrative support like answering the phone and emails, engaged in client acquisition support including facility tours and client onboarding and performed assistant coaching duties.
  • Why this particular internship or organization? I chose the Athlete Academy because I have a passion for the fitness industry, and I knew that this kind of business would be smaller and more hands on with their clients compared to other larger scale gyms.
  • What was your experience like (favorite part)? My favorite part about the internship was the people I worked with, all of the employees at The Athlete Academy are a ton of fun to be around and the atmosphere they create is second to none.
  • How has this experience helped you? This internship really opened my eyes to how much goes into owning and running a gym, it also showed me that the fitness industry could be about a lot more than just fitness and health, it could bring people together and build communities.
  • What’s next for you? I was offered a coaching position at the athlete academy where I hope to continue to learn and grow as a coach as well as continue to learn more about the business side of things. 
  • Advice for other students: Reach out to any company you find an interest in interning for because even if they might have never had an intern in that field it could turn out to be a great experience for both company and you.
  • Kudos to PSB for helping to prepare me for the many things that I experienced during my internship by providing a great base knowledge in the many fields of business. This allowed me to have the skills to adapt and work efficiently on anything that was thrown at me.