Tom Calo

Tom Calo joined the Management and Marketing Department at the Perdue School of Business in 2005 after teaching many semesters for us as an Adjunct Professor. When Tom joined our faculty, he brought his extensive Human Resource Management experience from the banking, education, and public employment sectors. Tom taught our undergraduate Human Resource Management and Employee-Management courses. He also taught the High Performance Work Systems course in the MBA program. Tom’s portfolio including teaching about 100 HR Track courses and a total of 138 courses during his time in the PSB. He touched many students’ lives, and had a major impact on our curriculum development.

Tom was an early leader in the development of our Human Resource Management Curriculum and our Society of Human Resource Management student club. For many years, as an Adjunct and then advancing to Full Professor, he mentored students on career options in business, HR, and life.

Two of our current Human Resource Advisory Board members illuminate Tom’s impact. Alysson E. DuPont, MBA, SHRM-SCP, and Senior Vice President at Sandy Spring Bank in Washington D.C. states:

Dr. Tom Calo has had an immense impact on my professional and personal life. Tom was my professor for an HR course. During an on-campus club event I was introduced to the student HR organization. Tom encouraged me to join and learn more about the profession of HR. That is what he does – he not only encourages his students he also supports their exploration and sparks curiosity for our growth. I still remember the trip to this day where he took our small club to Alexandria, Virginia for a field trip to National SHRM headquarters. He was so involved in our immersive experience and made sure we not only had fun but had access to high level professionals. That was a turning point for me to continue my focus on HR. I also have him to thank for my HR internship. He had a guest speaker in class and when I inquired with Tom about internship opportunities, he replied go ask him! Well, I did and not only did it result in a paid internship but also my first professional HR role while still working towards my bachelor’s degree. For the rest of my tenure Tom was a trusted leader and guide as I began to make critical life decisions. Tom was right there to push me towards my goals.

For nearly 19 years I have been in contact with Tom. He has been a tremendously valued professional guide during pivotal moments in my life. I thank him for helping me achieve the success I have today.

Dylan Elliot, MSHRD, SHRM-CP and HR Director at the Harrison Group in Ocean City, Maryland recalls:

Dr. Calo was an architect of my career. Dr. Calo sculpted my understanding of Human Resources, and his wisdom will forever be a cornerstone of my journey through Human Resources. Thank you, Dr. Calo, for not just teaching me but also instilling a profound appreciation for the art of connecting with and empowering others.

For me, and our Department, Tom was a confidant who shared his wisdom and practical advice. As a new Chair I navigated difficult issues with his patient counsel.

Tom we will all miss you. For me, with these many years as colleagues and occasional scotch whiskey sessions, it just won’t be the same. We hope to retain your insightful counsel as our HR Advisory Board Emeritus liaison.

Best wishes for a long, happy, and fruitful retirement.