Serving the nine counties that make up the Eastern Shore, ShoreCorps members engage in direct service to help build and grow organizations that better the communities they serve. Members include Tracy Smith, who serves with One Year to Empowerment. The organization works with teenage girls to help teach valuable skills including first aid certification and car maintenance skills. Tracy wasn’t sure what she could commit to after facing certain health issues. She knew that she had something left in her and, and so she committed to helping the young ladies. Now she shares how her service with One Year to Empowerment changed her. “It empowered me as well, I felt like I was done. I was in a bad spot, but this program has also blossomed me to feel empowered, that I am still valued and that I can still make a difference.”

Other members such as Addison, who serves with the non-profit Habitat for Humanity, have also seen the impact they have made on the community. Addison says, “I like ShoreCorps because it’s definitely broadened my horizon, and it shows what it means to be a non-profit and how I can give to the community”. Members of ShoreCorps gain many valuable lessons and skills while being able to give and help their community impacting people’s lives.

This March, ShoreCorps again celebrated AmeriCorps week, this time with a proclamation from The Wicomico County Council declaring March 10-16th as AmeriCorps week in the county. The County Council recognized ShoreCorps’ 200 members for providing up to 35,000 hours of service to the local Eastern Shore community. Having partnered with more than 90 locations, the ShoreCorps program has impacted an estimated 4,000 youth and 1,000 adults each year. ShoreCorps remains the largest AmeriCorps program in Maryland. Though each program has its own purpose and structure, they are all united for a common purpose, engaging citizens dedicated to making their communities better.  

ShoreCorps members help build community organization’s capacity, improve the lives of vulnerable populations, and foster civic engagement through service and volunteerism. Although ShoreCorps is the AmeriCorps program at Salisbury University, members do not have to attend the university to serve. Partnering with community-based organizations they can make a difference within the community by providing services such as mentoring, educational services, community outreach, and many other services. To learn more visit https://www.salisbury.edu/administration/americorps/become-a-member.aspx